The Palace Royal

A place to discuss the finer things in life: true conservatism, Prince, Pittsburgh sports, white chocolate, anything vanilla, Reality TV, 80's/90's TV, and anything else I deem appropriate.

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, United States

I am a worker in the labor movement, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Tennessee, and generally a GGTK.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hate the 'gate

Ok, it's happened once again. I now officially hate Richard Nixon and anyone associated in any way with his administration and the whole Watergate scandal. Before you accuse me of being a good American, wait until you hear why. I am sick of a trend that's got to stop. This trend? Calling every little scandal that ever occurs in the US (fill in the blank)-gate!

Right now, we are in the middle of Van Gundy Gate (as dubbed by ESPN). We also have Paula-gate. And Jennifer Wilbanks-gate. So many freaking gates!

We've had Monica-gate, Whitewater-gate, Enron-gate, steroid-gate, and seemingly every other type of -gate known to man. I for one am sick and tired of all this -gate action.

Therefore, I am proposing we remove this term from our vernacular, so that the incessant media would stop shoving it down our throats any time a hint of impropriety creeps up. I will no longer refer to anything, ever, as _________-gate...will you pledge to join me?

(Since nobody reads this blog, you probably will not.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

I continue to read and press on. You're right. It's totally gay and needs to end.

On a light note, this is one of those phrases that 200 years later someone goes, "Why do we always call something -gate?" They look it up in a book of phrases and go, "Huh I never knew that."

Kind of cool huh?

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home